Analysis of wave disturbance in the drill string while releasing stuck pipes
Keywords:stuck drill string, vibration velocity, deformation wave, time-frequency analysis
The work is devoted to testing the hypothesis about the possibility of assessing the nature of the release of the drilling tool by percussion devices by analyzing the response of the system in the form of vibration records of the upper end of the drilling tool. For this purpose, based on the examined existing theoretical models, a wave diagram of the propagation, reflection and interference of deformation waves caused by the operation of the percussion device along the tacked drilling tool is constructed. Based on the developed diagram, a prediction is made of the nature of the oscillatory processes of the upper end of the drilling tool of a typical design located in a vertical well and the nature of their occurrence is explained. Based on the presented theoretical model the authors made an analysis of records in relative units of the vibration velocity of the upper end of a drilling tool in two specific cases of freeing stuck drilling tools in wells No. 812-Pasichna and No. 903-Pasichna of Nadvirna and Ivano-Frankivsk UBR, where they used VUK-170 that worked in jar mode. For this purpose, the time-frequency representation of the obtained records in the form of spectrogram, scalogram and Wigner-Ville pseudo-distribution was performed, and, based on the obtained theoretical prediction of oscillations of the upper end of the drilling tool, the time of the following stages of the percussion cycle – striking, impact and post – was established. Based on the data obtained, a time-frequency impact assessment was carried out and the character of the attenuation of deformation waves in the drill string was evaluated. Based on the well-known arrangement of stuck drilling tools, the propagation speed of deformation waves along the drill string is determined, which turned out to be more than theoretically calculated for an ideal thin rod according to the wave equation. The paper considers further directions of development of the proposed approach, as well as the use of its results to increase the efficiency of the freeing of stuck tool using impact tools.
2. Askew W. E. Computerized Drilling Jar Placement. SPE/IADC Drilling Conference, Dallas, Texas, 1986-02-09. Dallas 1986.
3. Kalsi M. S., Wang J. K., Chandra U. Transient Dynamic Analysis of the Drillstring Under Jarring Operations by the FEM. SPE Drilling Engineering. 1987: Vol. 2 № 01. P.47–55. DOI: 10.2118/13446-PA.
4. Zhang Y., Samuel R. A New Analytical Model for Jarring Analysis. SPE/IADC Drilling Conference and Exhibition, Hague, Netherlands, 14.03.2017. Hague 2017.
5. Zhang Y., Samuel R. A Method to Estimate Working Range of Vibrators. IADC/SPE Drilling Conference and Exhibition, Fort Worth, Texas, USA, 06.03.2018. Texas: Hague 2018.
6. Wang J.-K., Kalsi M. S., Chapelle R. A., Beasley T. R. A Practical Approach to Jarring Analysis. SPE Drilling Engineering. 1990: Vol. 5 № 01. P.86–92. DOI: 10.2118/16155-PA.
7. Manoj Keshavan. Jarring dynamics of drillstrings: Master thesis / Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Massachusetts, USA, 1993. 166p.
8. Aarrestad T. V., Kyllingstad Å. Loads on Drillpipe During Jarring Operations. SPE Drilling & Completion. 1994: Vol. 9 № 04. P.271–275. DOI: 10.2118/24970-PA.
9. Kyllingstad A., Halsey G. W. Performance Testing of Jars. SPE/IADC Drilling Conference, Houston, Texas, 27.02.1990. Houston 1990.
10. Kyllingstad A., Slordal L. H. Performance Testing of Jar Accelerators. SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, San Antonio, Texas, 08.10.1989. San Antonio: SPE 1989.
11. Wijsman C. J. Novel Jar Technology - The Down-Hole Clutch. IADC/SPE Drilling Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, 23.02.2000. New Orleans 2000.
12. Haughton D. B., DeGeare J. P. Downhole Impulse vs.Downhole Impacts Improve Recovery of Stuck Retrievable Packers. SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Houston, Texas, 26.09.2004. Texas 2004.
13. Gao B., Wang L., Hu T. Testing String Dynamics When Jarring Stuck Packer. The 29th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 15.07.2019. Honolulu. 2019. C. 5.
14. Надвірнянське УБР. План робіт по ліквідації ускладнення на буровій №903-Пасічна. Паспорт свердловини №812-Пасічна, 1979.
15. Івано-Франківське УБР. План работ по ликвидации аварии в скважине №903-Пасечная. Паспорт свердловини №903-Пасічна, 1979.
16. Левчук К. Г. Удосконалення наукових основ моделювання динамічних процесів ліквідації прихоплень бурильного інструмента: дисерт. на здоб. докт. техн. наук: 05.05.12 / Івано-Франківський національний технічний університет нафти і газу. Івано-Франківськ, 2019. 449 c.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Oil and Gas Power Engineering
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.